Monday, August 21, 2006

The Worst and the Best Meal of My Life

I was ministering in a village bamboo and thatched roofed church out in a desert place in Thailand. After the meeting I was invited to a humble house for a meal.

They were lovely people and wanted to treat me like a king. First, they brought out a deep leather woven basket partly full of sticky rice. As I looked down at the rice I could see that many dirty hands had been there before me. Then came the dried fish off the roof, accompanied by a myriad of flies. To get to eat the fish I had to wave my hand in front of my face to chase away the flies and then get it into my mouth quickly. This was followed by a large duck's egg, coloured red, blue and green. Last came a glass of dirty water. One grows to appreciate the custom of giving thanks and blessing the food before each meal.

This meal is certainly the one I remember above all others in my whole life. It was the worst meal I've ever experienced - but it was also the best meal I've ever had. These beautiful people had given me their best. They could not have done better for the King of Thailand himself. I rejoiced.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home