Saturday, August 26, 2006

A Divine Appointment

While based in Bangkok I took many trips to Penang, Ipoh and Singapore for ministry to leading churches in these cities. One of these times, Brother Goh organised a special gathering with key leaders in Singapore. However, I got caught in a traffic jam on the way to the Bangkok airport and missed the flight. When I finally got on a flight I was too late for the meeting which had been pre-arranged. I was to learn, however, the Lord had a purpose for me being on the particular flight I found myself on.

On the plane I was seated next to a fine looking man. He was a Muslim. We got talking and found ourselves becoming firm friends. We talked openly together of our faith. I shared with him my faith in Christ. He shared with me how he loved his family and prayed 5 times a day. He was obviously a good man and I admired his sincerity and dedication. Neither of us could convince the other to change our beliefs so, as the plane touched down, we smiled in appreciation of one another.

As I walked down the aisle of the plane towards the door I looked back and there he was waving and smiling, so I waved and smiled. We proceeded to the Immigration. I looked over to another queue and there he was. He smiled and waved. I smiled and waved back.

The next I saw him was on the long escalator carrying the passengers up to the top and the receiving area. I was on the escalator next to his. I was standing, relaxing on the escalator step, with my luggage beside me on the step, being taken speedily up to the top. But his escalator had stopped and he was trudging up the steep steps, carrying his heavy luggage. As I passed him I smiled and said...

"This is what I was talking to you about. You are trying to work your own way to heaven. But Jesus came to take me up there. He did all the work for me."

With that parable I left him. I often wonder what he thought. I still think of him and pray for him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home