Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Hitchhiker

A number of years ago we visited a church in Sydney where Paul had been invited to minister. At the end of the meeting a young red-headed man and a young woman came down the aisle of the church and came straight up to me.

"Do you remember me?" the young man asked.

I looked at him but had to apologize.

"No, I'm sorry, I don't remember you."

"You picked me up hitchhiking ten years ago."

I laughed and shook my head. "That wasn't me" I said, "I never pick up hitchhikers."

"Yes it was" he replied, and as he spoke I suddenly remembered. My mind went back ten years before and I remembered how I had been praying to the Lord. Our full-time Bible School was going strongly and my regular routine was taking the children to school, teaching in the Bible School until it was time to pick them again, taking them home, preparing dinner, and, at least twice a week, attending a fellowship meeting. It was a full schedule and I loved it. But something was stirring in my heart. I was constantly with Christians. This was wonderful, but I also wanted to reach people who didn’t know the Lord. One morning I woke up and prayed...

“Lord, out there you have someone ready to receive you as Saviour. Today, please lead me to them so I can bring them to you.”

I was so certain about it. I knew there was someone waiting to hear the Gospel. I took the children to school. I went and taught in the Bible School. 3 o’clock came around and it was time for me to pick up the children. I drove down the highway towards the school.

“Lord” I said, “There’s not much time left. When I pick up the children I’ll be going home, preparing dinner and then going to a meeting.”

Suddenly I noticed a hitchhiker on the road and before I knew what I was doing, I pulled over and opened the door. I remember thinking to myself “What on earth am I doing?!” In got a hippie. He had long red hair. I was so nervous and amazed at myself I didn’t say a word but just began driving down the highway again. I could feel the young man shifting uneasily in the seat. Finally he broke the silence.

“Er.......what do you do?"

I was thrilled at his question. What an opportunity, I thought. So I told him...

“I’m a missionary. I’m teaching at a Bible School”

Suddenly his demeanor changed.

“You don’t believe in God do you?” His voice had the sound of shocked horror. For me, it again seemed a wonderful opportunity.

“Yes, I do”

“Why....why do you believe in God!?”

What better question could there be? I told him why I believed in God. I told him how I came to know the Lord, how wonderful He is. I told him of miracles we had experienced and seen Him do. I told him.....

Suddenly he interrupted me...

“Stop the car! I want to get out!” He was very angry.

“But don’t you want to go further.?....” I stuttered. I couldn't believe he would want to get out. He was the divine appointment arranged by the Lord, I thought.

“Stop the car here!” he demanded.

I stopped. He got out and slammed the door after him and I drove on. I felt terrible.

“Lord, I’m so sorry. I messed it up.....” I said miserably. But then I encouraged myself. “No, he obviously wasn’t the one. There is someone else out there who is ready....”

But no other opportunity came. I picked up the children, went home, prepared the dinner, went to the meeting, went home, and went to bed so disappointed.

Here we were - ten years later!

“You don’t know what happened to me, do you?” he said.

“No” I said, intrigued, “Please tell me.”

“I had just left my wife. I had walked out of the door and told her I was never coming back and I meant it. I was furious because she had become a Christian and would go on and on about Jesus! I couldn’t stand it anymore. I began hitchhiking down the highway and you picked me up. And then you began to go on and on about Jesus! I was so angry. I got out the car and slammed the door after me...I don’t know if you noticed [I smiled at this]. I stood on the edge of the road fuming. I don’t know how long I stood there but after I calmed down I looked up at the sky and said, 'Well God, if it means that much to you....' and I went back to my wife and told her what had happened. She prayed with me and I received the Lord.”

What a lesson it was for me. The Lord of course had been faithful to His word that day. In His goodness He allowed me to find out about it ten years later.

1 Comments:

At 6:49 AM, Blogger ramblingmuse said...

Amazing. I guess one never really knows how the Lord works afterall.

A nice post to encourage those to keep on doing good even when the circumstances appear otherwise.

Thanks for posting it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home