Sunday, October 15, 2006

Reaching the Future Leaders of Thailand

After three months in the United States we flew back to Hong Kong and then boarded the ship that would take us back to Thailand. It had been a wonderful time of ministry in the States, sharing the vision and making many new friends.

We docked in Bangkok without a cent in our pockets. We had until noon to leave the ship so Paul said,

“You stay on board. I’m going to find a house for us and I’ll come back for you.”

We knew it was going to take a miracle of the Lord. Before noon, Paul was back.

“I have a house” he said.

He had gone into the city searching, had enquired at one or two places that advertised houses to let, and then he had seen a notice advertising a small house for rent. When he saw it, he knew it was ideal for us. It was situated in a compound with the owner’s house, was well fenced in and even had a swing in the garden for the children. On top of that, it was furnished. The landlord even agreed to put in a refrigerator at Paul’s request. But how could we get it without any money? Paul simply said to the landlord:

“My Father is sending some money but it hasn’t arrived yet. Will it be okay to pay you when it comes?”

The landlord didn’t realize, of course, that Paul was referring to our Heavenly Father. But he was very happy about the arrangement...very pleased to have good tenants.

Not only was it an ideal home for us to live in, it soon became obvious why the Lord had guided us to this particular house. It turned out that the landlord was the Dean of the Faculty of Political Science at the Thammasat University. We had not long moved in when he approached us to ask if one of us could teach spoken English to his students. Because Paul was busy in the ministry he suggested I go. It turned out to be a great adventure with the Lord.

I was rather nervous about doing it so really called on the Lord for his help. When I arrived at the university on my first day, the Dean introduced me to the class and then left me to it. I looked down at the sea of faces before me...500 in all....all young men training for the leadership of the nation. I took a deep breath and began.

“I’m here to teach you spoken English” I told them “so I want to hear how you speak so I can help you. Stand up and introduce yourself to me. Anyone stand up” I said. “One at a time.”

There was a slight pause. Then a young man jumped to his feet. He gave his name and then said:

“Why have you come to Thailand?”

I couldn’t believe my ears. What an opportunity to share why we were there! I answered him, explaining our desire to tell people about the Lord Jesus. Another one jumped up.

“Why do you believe in God?”

I told them my own experience of coming to know the Lord personally and how he had changed my life and of the many times we had seen God meet us in our lives.

Another jumped up....and then another.....and then another.

As they spoke I would correct their grammar and their pronunciation, but the whole session was a wonderful time of sharing about the Lord. I noticed the Dean’s head peep through the door at one stage, obviously checking on how I was doing. It was just at the time when we were all laughing over something that had been said. I saw him smile and give a nod of approval.

As well as being a financial provision for us, this time at the university proved to be a wonderful open door for the Gospel. One day I arrived to find the students all milling around outside in the campus. Several came up to me and began to apologize. The students were on strike, they said.

“Arjarn [professor], may I ask you a question?” one said.

“Of course” I replied. A large group of young men gathered all around me.

“You believe in Jesus. Our parents believe in Buddha. What’s the difference?”

My silent prayer for wisdom was quickly answered.

“Do you believe Jesus was a good man and a good teacher?” I asked them.

“Yes” was the reply.

“No one has ever claimed to be what Jesus claimed to be" I said. "Buddha never claimed to be God. Jesus claimed He was God’s Son...the only way to God. He claimed to be the truth and the life. You say He was a good man and a good teacher but He couldn’t be unless He was speaking the truth about Himself. He was either speaking the truth or He is the greatest liar and deceiver the world has ever known. You have to decide what He is.”

They were so keen to know more that from that day onwards a number of them would visit us in our little house and we would share more about the Lord with them. I often wonder today where these young men are. Two of them stated blatantly their plan was to become Prime Minister of Thailand. Certainly they would be part of the politics of the nation today. Only God knows where they are with Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home